Denver Man Dies After Falling Ill In Dominican Republic

Khalid Adkins fell ill after traveling to the Dominican Republic last week, and he later died, his family said. (Image via GoFundMe, Patch partner)

DENVER, CO — A Denver man has died after traveling to the Dominican Republic last week, his family said. He went to the Caribbean nation with his daughter, and suddenly fell ill after arriving at his hotel.

In a GoFundMe post, Khalid Adkins’ family said they were desperately trying to fly him home after he got sick. They were quoted $20,000 to medevac him, and were trying to come up with the money to pay for his trip.

Whenever the family talked to Adkins over the phone, he would scream in pain and beg for their help. His family called the situation a "terrible nightmare."

He was given an injection with an unknown medication to help him fly home Sunday, according to ABC Denver.

When he got into the plane, he was dripping with sweat and vomited in the plane’s bathroom, his family wrote in the GoFundMe post.

Subscribe

The family said he died Tuesday, and never made it back home to Denver.

(Stay up-to-date with Metro Denver news with Patch! There are many ways for you to connect and stay in touch: Free Newsletters and Email Alerts | Facebook)

His family said they’ve been offered no explanation for his death. They are now trying to raise money to transport his body home.

More than ten American tourists have died in the Caribbean nation over the past year.

A 56-year-old Long Island man in seemingly good health died in the Dominican Republic last week after "drinking something," his sister-in-law said.

The FBI launched an investigation last week into whether any of the American deaths in the Dominican Republic were from drinking tainted or bootleg liquor.

None of the deaths are being officially investigated as connected by police, and not all the deaths occurred at the same hotel.

Three Americans, including a Pennsylvania woman, died at a Bahia Principe resort within days of each other in May. After the news of the deaths made headlines, several more families came forward with stories of similar experiences.

A New York woman said she was sickened after drinking a bottle of soda from the minibar at the Grand Bahia Principe resort in October 2018. Awilda Montes told The New York Post the soda from the minibar fridge tasted like bleach and made her violently ill.

A Denver couple who stayed at the same hotel said they became "dangerously ill" during their stay at a Bahia Principe resort. They told told ABC it smelled like paint had been spilled all over the room. A doctor who examined them upon their return said they had likely been sickened due to poisoning by pesticides, the report said.

Montes and the Denver couple survived.

Here’s a look at the other American tourist deaths in the Dominican Republic:

1. Avenel resident Joseph Allen is the most recently reported American to die in the country. He died June 13 at Terra Linda resort in Sousa. He complained of feeling hot at the pool, went to shower and lay down, and was found deceased in his hotel room the next day.

2. New York resident Leyla Cox died June 10 while visiting the Dominican Republic for a birthday trip, her family told the Staten Island Advance. She was found dead in her hotel room; U.S. Embassy officials told the family it was ruled a heart attack.

3. The family of Glenside, Pa. resident Yvette Monique Sport said she died in 2018 at a Bahia Principe Resort on the Dominican Republic after having a drink from the minibar. Sport’s sister Felecia Nieves, in an interview with FOX29, said they were told Sport died from a heart attack. Her obituary simply states she died suddenly on June 23, 2018 while in the Dominican Republic.

4. Miranda Schaup-Werner, 41, of Allentown, Pennsylvania died May 25, just hours after arriving at the Grand Bahia Príncipe Hotel. She was found unresponsive in her hotel room and died before making it to the hospital, the hotel said in a statement. She was on a trip to celebrate her anniversary with her husband but collapsed suddenly after having a drink and was later pronounced dead.

5 & 6. Five days later, an engaged Maryland couple was found deceased in their hotel room at the same resort. The couple was identified as Edward Nathaniel Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Ann Day, 49, of Maryland. The couple, and Schaup-Werner, died of respiratory failure and pulmonary edema, the Dominican Republic National Police told ABC News.

7. Robert Bell Wallace, 67, of California, died in April after drinking from the minibar at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino resort in Punta Cana, Fox News reported. A cause of death has not yet been provided to the family, the report said.

8. Jerry Curran, an Ohio resident, died in January while visiting Dreams Resort in Punta Cana, his daughter told WKYC. Shortly after having dinner and drinks the night of his arrival, Curren fell ill and spent the next couple of days in bed. Three days later he began vomiting and was unresponsive. He had surgery at a local hospital but later died.

9. David Harrison, a Maryland resident, died last year at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino resort, the New York Post reported. Dominican authorities also ruled his death was due to pulmonary edema and a heart attack, the report said.

GoFundMe is a Patch promotional partner

Source Article